1. If you build it, they will come. Simple Tyler Perry built a product that a large number of people across the globe enjoy; therefore, creating a brand and genre of play/movie/religious drama that is his alone.
2. Regardless of what you do or how big you win-People will hate. Accept that. Move on with a smile.
3. I am admittedly not a fan of his work. I find it limited and easy to predict; however, who cares? It ain't for me. That is the biggest thing people debating Tyler Perry refuse to understand. Every black based film, television show or commercial doesn't have to be for all of "us" or even you. It is for them. Those who care and love his product.
4. Love the people who love and support you. He literally always thanks the fans and it is apparent that he cares about their opinions. That is how he keeps his value.
5. You don't have to be the best writer, genius, or once in a lifetime talent. You literally just have to have a little talent but a WHOLE LOTTA GRIND. Most writers do not want the late nights, editing, revising, marketing, pushing, acting in, interviewing, payroll, and creation that they claim to want? Why? No work ethic or average work ethic.
6. Believe in yourself unconditionally. There is nothing in Tyler Perry's system that says, "I need multiple writers. I need multiple months filming. I need years of prep." His model is factory line, quick concepts, quick calculated releases in multi forms and platforms to create buzz amongst his target audience. To "artist" some will balk that his is doing his art an inservice. Well, boo boo kitty this is his art and he is happy with it because of the formula.
7. Don't argue with a Cloud about lightning. Translation: They have a much closer and clearer view of what a successful lightning bolt looks like. Most writers and members of the ewww committee including myself have never seen tens of millions of dollars for a project. Most if not all of us never will. So how are we going to argue with someone who does almost every single time he releases anything?
8. Be loyal to those loyal to you. Cicely Tyson is still in his films. He finds roles for people that are loyal to him and his brand without fail. Each movie you see someone that Black America forgot about that Tyler Perry didn't.
9. Don't allow public group think of how you should do a thing interfere with your process or success.
10. Keep on with the end goal in sight. Tyler has a studio compound that is the size of some small cities that employs a ton of black folks, people of color and women. He consistently gives back, inspires, and creates lanes for writers to follow through his influence on the entertainment market.
Moral: Stop counting Tyler pockets. You don't have to like it but you have to respect his grind.
P.S. Tyler if this comes on your desk. I definitely have learned a lot from you. I respect you. I thank-you. I get it and look forward to the next phase of your projects.